May month features May the Fourth, Return of the Fifth and Mother’s Day. I don’t particularly support the notion of celebrating and showing appreciation for motherhood, fatherhood and even love once a year. Days such as Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and Valentine’s Day are set aside nonetheless, so we may as well make use of them too. In the spirit the latter we will explore how the dynamic mother can celebrate motherhood in Bloemfontein on Mother’s Day and in May in general.
The dynamic mother is an entrepreneur:
- For the entrepreneurial mother we recommend attending Startup Grind Bloemfontein’s May event. Speakers include Thandi Vellem and Leah Molatseli, two powerful female entrepreneurs making big waves in their respective fields. Catch them on Thursday the 24th of May / 6PM / Cubaña Bloemfontein. For more details on this event and #startbfn follow the Facebook link: www.facebook.com/startupgrindbfn
The dynamic mother is a foodie:
- The ideal situation would be for your hubby and/or child (ren) to cook at least one fancy meal for you on Mother’s Day.
- If that’s not the case and you feel like cuisine you haven’t had to prepare, head over to a restaurant. Bloemfontein has a wide selection of restaurants to choose from!
The dynamic mother is a culture vulture:
- Visit an art gallery such as Oliewenhuis and Gallery on Leviseur.
- Watch a movie at home, at the cinema or at the UFS.
- Go out dancing at Die Mystic Boer or the like.
- Listen to live musical performances, poetry and/or storytelling at the Aasvoël Klub.
The dynamic mother is adventurous and energetic:
- Go for a hike at the Botanical Gardens.
- Join Parkrun on Saturdays on Naval Hill.
The dynamic mother deserves a pampering:
- Take some time off from your busy schedule. Book a facial, massage, manicure and pedicure at a beauty salon. Masha is in love with Tselem Skin Care Clinic and confidently recommends them. She’s a regular there.
- For further peace, quiet and relaxation, book yourself into Arista Guesthouse for one night. You will receive the 5-star treatment you deserve.
We hope that you can draw some inspiration from the above recommendations, take some time for yourself and do what you love. We love you and thank you for being a dynamic mother.
A Traveller’s Friend
TO DO LIST:
13 May – Come Wine With Me, from 6pm @Greek Hall Bfn, Corner of Andries Pretorius and Bree Street
13 May – Portuguese Youth Festival, 10pm @91 St George’s Street
13 May – Sculpting Porcelain: Hand Modelling and Carving Workshop, 10am @Oliewenhuis
16 May – Ciné-Club @Equitas Auditorium, University of the Free State (Showing the cult classic: Amélie)
18 May – Brandenburg String Trio, 7.30PM @Odeion
18 May – Bloem Board Games Evening, 6pm @CoffeeTalks Cafe
18 May – Jodi Bieber: Between Darkness and Light Exhibition Opening, 7pm @Oliewenhuis
19 May – Food Market @Reizis Square
20 May – Naval Hill Parkrun, 8Am @Naval Hill
20 May – 609th Street Store, 9am @Orchid House
20 May – Cosmic Collisions (Afr), 4pm @Planetarium
20 May – Miss Free State
24 May – Startup Grind powered by Google for Entrepreneurs, 6PM @Cubaña
27 May – Volksblad Food and Art Market @Emoya Estate
27 May – PnP Women’s Walk, 7am @University of the Free State
27 May – New Beginnings Dress Up- Dog Walk, 9AM-2PM @Tuff Top Lawns and Estate